Yesbook.Scot

Trident Can’t Be Moved!

Forums Independence Discussion Trident Can’t Be Moved!

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Trident Can’t Be Moved! 1 Calum Carlyle 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author
    Trident Can’t Be Moved! 2
    Twitter Leaks
    Participant
    @bill

Can I for the last time attempt to convince one single person of the following statement, I’ve tried since #indyref1 and still nothing, practically banned by Wings for daring to approach the subject again.

Firstly my assertion: Trident can’t be moved (Unless the system is disarmed).

(My view point was established before a certain RUSI report put into words with research and studies that I could not have had the time or ability to do.  My opinion was based on experience, 10 years in the Boat Service including Trident.  The RUSI report just lent strength to my argument and understanding so it’s a good starting point.)

Why can’t Trident be relocated?

It’d take 25 to 30 years to build a new Faslane/ Coulport twin base setup.

That’d need no local opposition, no opposition in Parliament and continuity of the project with no interuption to funding or the project due to political changes.

There isn’t anywhere else in the UK that is suitable in any event plus where would the BUTEC base go? There isn’t anywhere deep and quiet enough to conduct underwater testing and evaluation of weapons and sonar systems pre-deployment.

Trident Can’t Be Moved! 3
    Calum Carlyle
    Participant
    @calum

i’m surprised your position is considered controversial by anyone.

It’s well known, i think, that while Scotland’s position should be to remove Trident from Scotland, the truth is that the UK would, if it were required to do so, be forced to dismantle Trident altogether, since it would have nowhere else to put Trident.

It’s my expectation, though this probably isn’t being discussed because it’s not popular on either side, but i would expect Trident to remain active at Faslane until some years following independence, with Scotland either receiving a hefty rent payment for it to remain, or some other concessions as part of a Scottish independence settlement.

Trident Can’t Be Moved! 2
    Twitter Leaks
    Participant
    @bill

Thanks Calum, you’re the first in years to see it.

Trident Can’t Be Moved! 3
    Calum Carlyle
    Participant
    @calum

I’m fairly sure there are plenty others who can see this, though you’re right, our lot don’t like the idea of having to wait several years after independence to get rid of trident.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this: