Yesbook.Scot

March routes for wheelchair users

Forums Yes Events and Marches Listings March routes for wheelchair users

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by March routes for wheelchair users 1 Kate McLaren 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    March routes for wheelchair users 2
    Fiona Knotts
    Participant
    @babybunny1979

Hello, over this past winter I have been purchasing some saltire flags and flagpoles to use at the march in Edinburgh this year. I was hoping to have made last years one, but alas my health never allowed me to participate. My hopes are that someone will read this post and can help me work out how I could participate in even the last leg of this years march. I am a wheelchair user, but cannot self propel. My husband would struggle pushing me up and down any inclines, like the mound and the high street. So flatter ground is better.

Does anyone have have any suggestions?

I very much would like to add myself to the thousands of marchers who march for our independence. Thank you for reading! 🙏🏻🙏🏻

March routes for wheelchair users 3
    Kate McLaren
    Participant
    @katemclaren

Well, I pushed my brother the entire length of the Dundee march…I am still paying the price as he is a lot bigger than I am, but it was brilliant and there were lots of wheelchair users. Could you not persuade some young strong person to push your chair? I am sure there would be a queue of Yessers ready and able to do it.

1+
    March routes for wheelchair users 4
    Calum Carlyle
    Participant
    @calum

It would be nice though to have march organisers considering this sort of thing as a matter of course. For Edinburgh, i can imagine Princes Street is quite flat, for the kind of march that is publicly visible, but then for a march to end up at Holyrood, that would involve going over North Bridge, and down the Royal Mile, again there’s no real uphill there (the bridge is technically uphill, but very flat and not that long), but i am thinking that the Royal Mile itself is steep, so you’d have to spend the whole time actually pulling the wheelchair back to stop it accelerating down the hill! Also, it is setts all the way down to the World’s End, then it’s tarmac from there to Holyrood, so i don’t know if that is viable for some wheelchair users or not. I suppoe the wheelchair users on such a march if they really couldn’t manage the steep downhill bit might be expected to convene at Holyrood for the end of the march. I’m thinking that if they attended the Princes Street bit of the march then they’d probably end up waiting for ages on South Bridge trying to get a 35 bus down the Mile and end up arriving after everybody else.

This is all hypothetical of course, and each city will have its own challenges no doubt. Edinburgh isn’t the only wheelchair unfriendly city in Scotland by any means!

Kate McLaren
    Participant
    @katemclaren

It’s not just the steepness, also the surface. Pushing a wheelchair over cobbles/setts is very difficult, and I imagine very uncomfortable for the person sitting in it, and you can’t just hop on and off the pavement, either. Dundee was interesting and Edinburgh (last year’s route) would have been impossible. The Galashiels route isn’t flat, but at least the surfaces are better.

Fiona Knotts
    Participant
    @babybunny1979

It is lovely reading all of the replies, and the issues with the surfaces and inclines being aired. Edinburgh would be the only city that I would manage to attend, this is the closest city to where I live. Perhaps if we brought our car, we could park on castle street, then drive over to holyrood as the march progressed up the mound. Then rejoin everyone and greet them as they arrive. Although, this would still be difficult, perhaps it would be more doable. I dont know if this would be viable though. But thank you everyone for your input. It is much appreciated!

1+
    Kate McLaren
    Participant
    @katemclaren

Are you absolutely sure you couldn’t do Galashiels? It’s only about thirty miles from Edinburgh and we’re awfae nice and helpful in the Borders.

Fiona Knotts
    Participant
    @babybunny1979

@katemclaren

That is very sweet of you, we live in Livingston, and I know Gala is about a 50-60 mins drive each way. But I will speak with my husband about attending this years march in Gala, as well as Edinburgh too. I have never been to Galashiels before, so I would relish a day trip down your way. I will keep you posted closer to the time. Thank you 🙏🏻

Kate McLaren
    Participant
    @katemclaren

I’ll see if I can walk the route soonish and let you know what it’s like. I’m not offering to push as I am still struggling with leftover pain but I can’t imagine there wouldn’t be anyone who’d help. Maybe contact the stewards? I am hoping to get to the Volunteers meeting and could ask then.

Fiona Knotts
    Participant
    @babybunny1979

Thank you @katemclaren I would appreciate that x

Kate McLaren
    Participant
    @katemclaren

Will do.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this: